We did it. We dove in and started GAPS Intro. The first time we went through it, it was a disaster and terribly difficult, but I’ve learned a few tricks since then! This time is going much better, and though still difficult, I know we are experiencing much healing and are going to make it through just fine!
My best tips so far that I didn’t know last time:
- use pre-cut, frozen, organic veggies
- buy a good cookbook (this one is awesome and breaks recipes down by stage!)
- have a plan and pre-prep your veggies, etc.
- plan to stay home and relax and try not to have any plans during the first couple weeks (don’t do it during a sports season like we did the first time!)
One of my best tricks, however, is to make these gummies, which have really saved the day on more than one occasion, particularly in the very first days when the afternoon blood sugar drop hits and everyone is hangry. These gummies are super nutrient dense, but feel like such a treat for kiddos and parents alike! The best part is that they are very fast and easy to make, so when you are weak and brain-fogged (please tell me I’m not the only one who goes through that on GAPS Intro!), you can whip these up and be feeling better in no time.
The collagen protein (aka gelatin) is a rich source of amino acids, which are crucial to helping your body heal and detox, while the honey helps to bring up your blood sugar a bit, though the high protein content prevents your blood sugar from spiking too much. The stock is soothing to the gut lining and the lemon juice is great liver support for detox as well. It is amazing to me that I can be weak and have a major headache, then pop a few gummies in my mouth and feel better almost instantly! If you tolerate all of these ingredients (and I’d guess most people do), there’s no reason not to enjoy these little life-savers from day one of intro!
GAPS Intro Stage One Super Gut-Healing Gummies
- 1/2 cup chicken stock made with meaty bones or by poaching a whole chicken
- 1/2 cup freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 3 scoops approx. 6 Tbsp. Perfect Supplements Gelatin
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- In a medium-sized saucepan, warm up the broth over medium heat, then add the collagen protein.
- As the broth continues to warm, whisk the gelatin until it has totally dissolved.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and whisk in the raw honey and lemon juice until the whole mixture is combined well and smooth.
- Pour into silicone molds like this or into a large casserole dish and pop into the freezer for 10-15 minutes.
- Either remove the gummies from the molds or use cookie cutters to cut fun shapes out (kids love both options!).
- Store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator, if they last long enough to need storing!
curious as to the difference between these and the fat bombs.. when would you use one vs the other?
These are more protein-based, whereas the fat bombs focus on fat. Both help to satiate hunger. 🙂
How much do you taste the chicken stock? Thanks!
My kids don’t taste it or know it’s in there. 🙂
I thought fruit juices weren’t until like stage 5. Do you think they would turn out ok without the lemon?
Fresh lemon juice is allowed from day one.
Day 4 I’m struggling with my emotions being out of wack and I really just want to throat punch anyone who annoys me. I think everyone would describe me as a loving person, but my self control is fading fast. Anyone else?
That’s pretty normal during the detox that comes with doing the GAPS intro diet. Try upping your carbs with butternut squash/carrot soup and be sure you’re eating plenty of fat. The carbs always help me feel better and less like throat-punching people. 😉
Could I double the recipe and make these into popsicles with collagen instead? Or would that taste gross? And not be GAPS GAPS approved?
We cannot eat gelatin-is there something that can be used instead?
Not in the recipe; sorry.
Thank you for an easy recipe and gummies that finally taste good!!
So glad you loved them!