I recently told you about how a salt lamp can help counteract EMFs in your home, and why I keep one on my desk. Here, contributor Danielle tells us how we can decrease our exposure to dirty electricity to improve health. -Jaclyn
The average American household has 24 electronics and WiFi throughout the entire space, not to mention most of us have a cell phone glued to at least one hand. Each device is emitting a dirty little secret that can ravage your health.
As our electronics have developed, our electricity has become more affordable and available- but less healthy. While we used consistent-flow electricity to power our electronics in years past, we now use a new method, explained below, which causes dirty electricity to enter our environment, homes, workplaces, and schools.
What is dirty electricity?
As our electronics use transformer components to turn Hz AC current to low-voltage power they can use, the power lines, outlets, conductors, and devices emit chopped, electrical pollution into their environment. This pollution is called “electromagnetic frequency,” or EMF, and can affect the human body negatively.
Electronic devices used to use a steady current of electricity, but new electronics stop and start the flow continuously, creating bursts of dirty electricity along power cables and lines, devices, and outlets. Living near a power grid or large power lines may put you at risk for developing health conditions from high EMF exposure. But, the amount of electronics in the average home is enough to harm some individuals.
The 8 dirtiest electronics in your home
Essentially all electronics can emit EMFs, but some are worse than others. The list below contains the highest offenders, but you should also do your own research to find the EMF level of your electronics. You can purchase an EMF detector to see the levels in your home, and there’s even an app for that.
1. Cell phones- Samsung phones tend to have the lowest EMFs in the U.S., while Apple phones have the highest. (source) Since you hold your phone throughout the day, it may be one of the worst sources of exposure to EMFs. You can purchase an EMF blocker for your phone.
2. Microwaves- microwaves are one of the highest offenders. Your best bet is to get rid of the appliance, and replace it with a toaster oven or warmers (or a teapot!).
3. WiFi- internet usage also creates EMFs, but WiFi is worse than cabled internet as it pushes waves throughout your home. Opt for cabled internet, or keep your WiFi on a power strip so you can turn it off when not in use.
4. CFL lightbulbs- opt for old school, fluorescent bulbs at low voltages.
5. Smart meters- smart meters send your electricity usage automatically to the electricity company. Many cities across the U.S. are rolling these out, and participants find themselves suffering ill effects.
You may be able to opt out, but if not, you can purchase protectors for both inside and outside of the wall where the unit is installed. Radiation from neighbors’ smart meters can affect your home, depending on how close the meter is.
6. Printers/scanners- like WiFi, keep these on a power strip so they can be turned off when not in use.
7. Battery chargers- believe it or not, even battery chargers can leak EMFs. Unplug your charger when not in use.
8. Security systems- because they run off of WiFi, they carry a constant stream of exposure across your home. Research the EMF levels and WiFi usage of a security system before purchasing.
Virtually any appliance that uses electricity can produce EMFs in your home. You can’t live without electricity (or at least, you probably don’t want to!), but you can limit your exposure to EMFs by making some of the switches noted above, and by taking steps to limit its effect. But, does it really matter? Do EMFs really harm our health? Recent research says yes.
electricity’s negative health effects
Though many may scoff at the idea of EMFs causing health damage, the World Health Organization has been researching the effects since 1996, and over 30,000 research papers on the subject have been published.
Since high levels of electrical use are relatively new, there is not ample research to show the full range of its health effects. However, research is showing that EMF sensitivities are a real problem, and can even cause greater issues, such as:
- cancer (source), (source), (source)
- behavioral issues, such as ADD/ADHD (source)
- headaches, anxiety, suicide and low libido (source)
- sleep disorders (source)
Many scientists are not sure that EMF radiation affects the body because they base their assumptions on the idea that damage can only be caused by radiation to cells if they are heated to a certain degree. All current ratings, including cell phone safety ratings, are based on this heating theory. However, this is not the only way which cells become damaged from radiation.
Numerous studies have shown that even very low frequency EMF radiation changes cell behavior. Studies have found that EMFs may damage DNA, cause protein cells to release stress hormones, can excite or depress brain cells, increase growth of leukemia cells, and increase blood pressure.
Though not enough studies have been completed to date, changes on the cellular level mean big changes in the way our cells communicate and function together. Limiting your exposure within your home can ensure that you are not negatively effected by EMF pollution.
What you can do about dirty electricity in your home
You can’t entirely unplug unless you’re investing in a yurt on a plot of off-grid land. (If you are, I am so jealous.) But, there are a number of steps you can take to rid your home of dirty electricity and lessen its effects.
- Turn them off! I keep my TV and WiFi on a power strip, and turn both off when not in use. Unplug and turn off appliances whenever possible.
- Get an EMF blocker. There are all sorts of EMF blockers, for phones, smart meters, and even appliances.
- Purchase orgonite for your electronics or body. Though little is known about how it works, orgonite has been used to alleviate symptoms caused by EMF exposure. It is believed that instead of blocking EMFs, orgonite rearranges or absorbs some of the negative energy. You can purchase orgonite pieces for your electronics, and even jewelry.
- Buy better electronics. Overall, new electronics may use less energy, but dirtier energy. Research your appliance purchases for their EMF levels before purchase.
- Open the windows! Your home can coop up EMFs when little air is allowed to release. Open your windows periodically to reduce the indoor pollution.
- Ground yourself. Ensuring that your body’s electricity is in balance may help your body combat EMF exposure. You can ground yourself by simply walking outside barefoot, or purchasing a grounding mat.
As you focus on organic, clean food for your body and natural treatments for your health, don’t forget to ensure that your health measures are not thwarted by dirty electricity in your home. EMFs may not be visible, but they are a real threat to your family’s health.